Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Flat White in Vancouver. Could I be so lucky?

A flat white in Canada!
After receiving a suggestion from over at Famished Foodies, I was pretty excited today to go and check out Oz Coffee in Kits.  After all, I am an Australian living in Canada so it seemed fitting.  How had I not heard of this place until now?  And could I be so lucky to get what I had been longing for since my arrival?  A flat white.

Now you should know that anyone who knows me in Canada, would have heard me complain time and time again, about how the coffee here just doesn't compare to home and how much I miss my morning flat white.  I should also note for my Canadian readers, that a flat white is a coffee similar to a cappuccino, but it is made on micro-foam instead of dry foam.  Almost a cross between a latte and a cappuccino some might say.

Much to my delight when I arrived, the first thing I noticed was that the coffee bean supplier was none other than my favourite Canadian coffee, JJ Bean.  And as I expected, like any true Australian Cafe, there was a flat white on the menu.  My excitement levels jumped up a notch, and in case you haven't worked it out by now, I am hands down, coffee's biggest fan (if it's great).

Naturally I ordered a large flat white and as I hadn't had lunch yet, a cheese and tomato toasty (a grilled sandwich for all of my Canadian friends).  The coffee was perfect temperature and on my first sip, I felt right at home.  It had a smooth, creamy and well rounded taste and there was no trace of bitterness, which I have come to recognise from Canadian coffee.  After each sip, I was left with a sweet clean memory on my taste buds.  Finally, someone in Vancouver that could grasp the technique of making a flat white.

The sandwich was your typical grilled cheese and tomato sandwich that you could make at home.  Nothing too special.  The first half was a warm gooey cheese mess and by the time I got to the second half, the underside had gone soggy.  A little pricey for what it was, but either way, it hit that comforting homely spot for such a cold and rainy Vancouver afternoon.

The centre fireplace offers a warm and inviting balance to the otherwise minimalistic and industrial like design.  There is ample seating in this spacious setting.  However, for 3pm on a Saturday, the place was that full it was hard to find a seat.  Usually a good sign, although I couldn't help but notice every other customer was busy on their laptop, lingering over their one cup of coffee, to take advantage of the free wi-fi rather than the food or drink.

To finish, I think Oz coffee is the perfect merger of the best coffee bean Canada has to offer, made the Australian way.  I will be returning as often as possible.  A flat white biased 7/10 from me.

Oz Coffee on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it. Before you go back, give them a call. According to a Yelper, they're closed !!?! http://www.yelp.ca/biz/oz-coffee-vancouver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bugger-all that this place closed before I could get to it! You're right about the bitterness of the coffee in Vancouver (and the places I've been in Seattle/NW Washington State too). They like to think up here that they make a decent cuppa, but they'd clamp their gobs if they'd been Down Under.

    ReplyDelete